Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Drew II’s birthday rap shows he still doesn’t get it

Drew II’s birthday rap shows he still doesn’t get it

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/...it/?pa=1&tc=pg

Less than 48 hours after his former North Carolina basketball teammates celebrated their emphatic victory against arch-rival Duke that clinched the ACC regular-season title and set the Tar Heels up for a deep run into March, Larry Drew II held a celebration of his own Monday.

Only this one had much more of an edge to it.

Drew was the guest of honor at a lavish party, held at the Conga Room in Los Angeles in honor of his 21st birthday and from the looks of things, it drew a decent sized crowd – including entertainer Jamie Foxx.

The highlight of the night was apparently when Drew took the stage, grabbed a mike and began doing an angry freestyle rap that took several direct shots at coach Roy Williams, the Tar Heels and the media covering them.

Here’s the video.

Just in case it’s too hard to hear, here are some excerpts:

“This is what it’s come to. And if perception is reality, then tell me, how in the hell will your dreams they even come true if every time you close your eyes there’s something that wants you? Plus everything I’m hearing is untrue.

“The media, they talk, but they never confront you. I mean the path that we is I can’t undo, so now I’m making all the moves that I want to. Pick and roll across the (unintelligible). Iso. Just know I got more game than I chose. They tried to tell me just to play my role, but who’s really trying to stick to a script full of typos.

“Like a horror flick they made me out a monster. Cut the (BS), I should have won an Oscar. It ain’t over till the fat lady sings, right? (Forget) it, I brought the whole opera. Just like Biggie, who shot ya? Or who shot them, I’m so not them. But then I think that’s what really shocked them. So, I refuse to be another kid. But I’m down home, so baby just pop in.”

You’d think that his old team winning 11 of 12 since he was replaced by Kendall Marshall as UNC’s starting point guard would be enough to convince Drew that he was the problem all along in Chapel Hill. But from the sound of his lyrics, that isn’t the case.

All I can say is good luck to any coach that decides to take him in as a transfer for his final season of college eligibility. Even more good luck to the kid, himself, if he thinks his basketball career is going to go any further than that.

His father might be an NBA coach – and maybe Larry Sr. will let him sit at the end of his bench with a uniform on for a couple of seasons. But from what I’ve seen and heard, Larry II has a better shot at making it big as a rapper than as a baller.

And he’s got a lot of work to do there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment