Friday, March 18, 2011

Ohio State's Tressel will serve five-game ban

Ohio State's Tressel will serve five-game ban

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6230308

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel announced Thursday he will accept a five-game suspension for his role in Buckeyes' NCAA violations.

"Coach Tressel has requested that he sit out the first five games of the 2011 season," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said. "I have accepted his request and we are taking action to notify the NCAA. Until the NCAA has completed its investigation, we will not be publicly discussing the details of this case."


I spoke with Athletics Director [Gene] Smith, and our student-athletes involved, and told them that my mistakes need to share the same game sanctions. Like my players, I am very sorry for the mistakes I made.

-- Jim Tressel
Tressel was suspended for two games and fined $250,000 by the university for his violations, but a source said it was Tressel's choice to increase his suspension to five games.

Tressel is still subject to NCAA penalties, including a longer suspension.

The NCAA denied Ohio State's appeal on behalf of five Buckeyes football players who will be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling autographed memorabilia and receiving discounted tattoos. The NCAA also announced the decision on Thursday night.

"Throughout this entire situation my players and I have committed ourselves to facing our mistakes and growing from them; we can only successfully do that together," Tressel said in a statement. "I spoke with Athletics Director Smith, and our student-athletes involved, and told them that my mistakes need to share the same game sanctions. Like my players, I am very sorry for the mistakes I made."

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor and four others acknowledged they sold rings, trophies and apparel in 2009. The athletes must repay money and benefits ranging from $1,000 to $2,500.

The decision is separate from the case involving Tressel, who did not disclose to the NCAA or Ohio State's compliance department for more than nine months that he was aware his players' received money and other benefits from a Columbus tattoo-shop owner.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment